About two offices ago (what do you mean that’s not an accurate way to measure time?), I got introduced to Itsu and its dangerously addictive coconut chicken noodle soup.
Needless to say, it became my lunch of choice for those days when I was too lazy/late/disorganised to pack lunch (or I just really, really wanted something warm, spicy, comforting and full of rice noodles for lunch).
Time passed, offices moved and suddently, there was no Itsu nearby for me to get my coconut chicken noodle soup fix.
Luckily, it turns out it’s really easy and quick to make, taking only about 15 minutes from start to finish.
It’s barely any work at all, and yet it delivers a punch of warming, complex flavours. Rich, spicy, tangy, funky all at once. Plus it’s a one pot sort of dish. Less washing up = always a winner in my book.
I know it sounds too good to be true, but you definitely want to give it a try, because it’s all pho real!
Thai Coconut Chicken Noodle Soup (serves 1)
- 100g chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 spring onions, white cut into bite-sized pieces and green thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- small garlic clove, finely chopped or grated
- tiny piece of ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder
- 3 tbsp canned chopped tomato
- 125ml coconut milk
- 200ml chicken broth or water
- fish sauce to taste
- 50g rice noodles, prepared according to packaging instructions
- lime wedge to serve
- salt, pepper
1. In a saucepan or wok, heat up the sesame oil until it just starts smoking. Add in the red curry paste, grated garlic and ginger and curry powder and cook on a high heat for a couple of minutes.
2. Add in the chicken and spring onion white pieces and cook for a few minutes.
3. Pour in the coconut milk, chopped tomato and chicken broth, reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with fish sauce, salt and/or pepper accordingly.
4. Place the prepared rice noodles in a bowl. Top with the coconut chicken broth. Garnish with spring onion greens and a lime wedge and serve immediately.