There are days when the best thing you should really just stay in bed. And I’m afraid today is one of those days.
First of all, it’s Monday. And I don’t care how many inspirational quote are in my Insta feed, Mondays suck.
But today is some sort of next level Monday because TUBE STRIKE!!
I don’t take the tube, so it really shouldn’t matter all that much, if it wasn’t for the fact that the buses are fucking packed and I wasted an hour of my time waiting to see if one of them would stop at my bus stop to let people in and NOP, NOT GONNA HAPPEN, YOU CAN JUST WALK ACROSS ALL OF LONDON YOU FOOL.
That said, as with all suck-y morning, there are some silver linings, including getting to go back home for breakfast in bed while browsing through emails.
And when said breakfast happens to be a vibrant bowl of Cranberry Bakewell Porridge, it makes up for the suckiest of mornings.
Inspired by the classic British dessert, it’s indulgent yet healthy.
Packed full of breakfast-y goodness, vegan and ready in minutes, it’s the best day to start the day on a berry good note!
Cranberry Bakewell Porridge (serves 1)
- 30g porridge oats
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (+ more for serving)
- seeds for 1/2 vanilla pod
- 250ml water or milk
- small handful fresh or frozen cranberries (swap for 10-12 ripe cherries in season, stone removed)
- 8-10 almonds, roughly crushed
1. In a small pan, put the cranberries, 1 tbsp maple syrup and a few tbsp of water. Cook for a few minutes until you get a jammy texture. Set aside.
2. In a small pot, mix together the porridge oats, ground almonds, 1 tbsp maple syrup, vanilla seeds and 250ml water/milk. Cook on medium heat, stirring continuously until it thickens (add more water if necessary).
3. Pour the porridge into a bowl, top with the cranberry ‘jam’ and the crushed almonds and serve immediately.