Roasts with rivers of gravy, creamy cheese, followed by a big batch of cakes and puddings… Christmas food is nothing if not indulgent.
But it absolutely doesn’t have to be like that all the way. As for most things in life, it’s all about balance.
A crunchy brussel sprout slaw with the turkey. Plenty of fresh and dried fruit on your cheese board. And a tiny slice of pudding with this little wonder of a Christmas orange salad on the side.
Bursting with festive flavours, yet still zesty and fresh, it’s the perfect way to end your Christmas meal…
So squeeze your chance & make this Christmas meal your zestier yet!
Christmas Orange Salad with Spiced Cranberries (serves 4)
- 6 oranges or 8 tangerines
- 1 big handful fresh cranberries
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 green cardamom pods or 1 black cardamom pod, slightly crushed
- 1 small handful raisins
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 300ml water
1. In a small saucepan, place the cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, raisins and water. Bring to a small boil and simmer for 10 min. Add the sugar, reduce the heat and cook until it start thickening.
2. Add the cranberries into the syrup and cook until they just start to rumple. Remove from the heat and let it cool completely.
3. Using a knife, cut off the peel and white pith from the oranges. Cut them in thin slices and arrange on a serving dish.
4. Top with the spiced cranberries and raisins and drizzle with a bit of the spiced cooking syrup. Serve immediately.