When it comes to packing your own lunch, raise your hand if you always start the year full of grand plans and good intentions, only to give up a few days later because GOSH WHY DOES IT TAKE SO MUCH TIME AND EFFORT? and f*ck it, I might as well just go to Pret and get the same old sandwich everyday because I’d rather from boredom than exhaustion?
Yeah? Me too.
But the truth is, it doesn’t have to be that hard.
Exhibit n°1 with this Broccoli & Avocado Salad.
This is healthy eating at its best. Simple, cheap as chips ingredients thrown just a few minutes to create something super healthy and, most importantly, absolutely delicious.
The beauty of this salad lies in its perfect simplicity and its amazing contrast of texture.
Creamy avocado, crunchy broccoli, with a bit of added zing from the tahini-lemon dressing, it makes for a super satisfying vegan lunch.
Broccoli & Avocado Salad (vegan, serves 1 as a main course or 2 as a side)
- 1 small broccoli head (washed, pat dried and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 avocado (pitted, peeled and chopped into small cubes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp good quality tahini (this is my favourite)
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- small pinch chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- big pinch za’atar
- chives (finely chopped)
- salt, pepper
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C (gas mark 6).
2. In a bowl, mix the broccoli pieces with the olive oil, chilli flakes, garlic and a small pinch of salt. Transfer to an oven tray and roast until slightly brown and tender (about 30 min).
3. In a small bowl or glass, combine the tahini and lemon juice and mix until well combine (add a bit of water if necessary). Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a serving bowl, combine the roasted broccoli and cubed avocado. Top with the tahini dressing, sprinkle with za’atar and chives and serve immediately.