It’s no secret that 2017 hasn’t been the easiest of years for me. There’s been loads of tough moments for me to go through.
Thanksfully, there’s also been a lot of small and big happy things.
As an exercise in mind- and gratefulness, over the whole year, I’ve noted down the top happy thing for each day of 2017.
And here they are – my 2017 shiny little moments of happiness!
1. Starting the year with a horizon of fireworks and a glass of bubbly.
2. Roasted onions, steamed potatoes + raclette cheese + hot oven = lazy raclette FTW!!
3. Super comfy new office chairs.
4. Finally stocked up on Earl Grey again!
5. Leftover Pizza Pilgrim’s pizza for dinner.
6. Home-cooked steak dinner with roasties and garlic aioli. (Garlic is my spirit animal)
7. Sales shopping, the grown up edit!
8. The best Chinese noodles at Xi’an Impression.
9. Colourful salads for lunch.
10. The flying carpet bit of Aladdin the musical.
11. Lunch at Ahi Poke & shopping with my sister.
12. Coconut cookies, skinny fries & good times with my bro’!
13. Tapas at my favourite place.
14. Slow dancing to Lee Fields & The Expressions
15. A lazy day at home and THAT Sherlock finale!
16. Chipotle’s guac’ & chips.
17. THIS salad!
19. Winner winner scallop stir-fry dinner (a loose adaptation of this recipe)
20. Beautiful seafood miso ramen for lunch, then pizza, Westworld & chill!
21. Pud’ & cocktails at Talli Joe with my fave
22. Steamed potato, melted cheese, smoked pepper. ’tis the little things.
23. Shooting some of my favourite photos to date of my favourite recipe ever (and getting to eat it all afterwards!)
24. British food quiz night at Roast restaurant with HotJoint! (Join their next event, it’s a lot of fun!!)
25. Finally getting my head out of the blog rut I’ve been stuck in for a while.
26. Exciting blogging opportunities opened up by Blogfoster (and catching up with blogger friends)
27. A well deserved early night!
28. *That* Kung Pao pork taco at Breddos Tacos
29. The ultimate breakfast of champions: Meatliquor’s Dead Hippie burger in bed!!
30. Chatting about any- and everything with my mum over the phone.
31. Delicious, warming (and super-easy to make!) Thai chicken noodle soup for lunch.
32. Making exciting weekend plans.
33. The scales finally making a little move in the right direction!
34. Pizza, Netflix & chill (classic Friday plans right there!)
35. The best kind of busy days: Falling in love with Spitafields all over again, lunch at Smokestak, The Mousetrap, Yautcha’s dim sums.
36. Risotto Milanese .
37. A fascinating night learning all about (and tasting!) Hudson whiskey.
38. Cheat’s chicken Satay for dinner.
39. Planning and impromptu trip to Munich (+ more chicken Satay)
40. Dinner with Michelle, Seetal & Raj at Honey & Smoke. Bloggers + mezze + cake = the best.
41. Winner winner dosa dinner!
42. NEW HAAAAAAAAIR (and possibly new flat?!)!
43. That feeling you get after a full day of decluttering. Also, S’MORES CHEESECAKE POTS!
44. Spicy pork belly for lunch & BRGR.CO #TheFounder for dinner.
45. Pizza + Champagne + comfy sofa! #WinningAtVday #YouCanKeepYour£70Menu #cheapdate
46. Lazy garlic bread (I just rubbed a clove of garlic on toasted bread, buttered it and called it a day) with buttersquash soup for dinner.
47. A rare quiet day at work.
48. Spring in the air (fingers crossed).
49. Lunch at Berber & Q’s Shawarma Bar.
50. Researching bank accounts + IKEA dreamin’ + Sushi dinner = Winning at adulting today!
51. Pizza & long overdue catch up with Vi Vian.
52. More food + catch ups, this time with Jess at Tang.
53. FINDING OUR NEW UNICORN HOME!!
54. Pots & Co salted caramel & chocolate pots de crème
55. Surprise dinner at Lima (totally my kind of surprise).
56. Loads of candles, endless cups of tea, Satay chicken (again).
57. Started The Girl Before & I’m hooked!
58. *THIS* paleo granola. Lifechanging.
59. A very succesful late-night online shopping sesh (now the proud owners of a Dyson vacuum cleaner, a Dualit toaster & a cast-iron skillet…)
61. A night at the (Irish) ambassador.
62. Lunch at Som Saa.
63. Polpo‘s pork & fennel meatballs.
64. Cooking up a (middle eastern-ish) storm + afternoon spent chatting with friends over said storm and tea + triple rainbows
65. Leaving work early (and THERE IS STILL LIGHT PAST 5PM!!)
66. Grey’s Anatomy binge-watching.
67. Frenetic packing with a side of ham tortellini, tomato sauce & crumbled feta.
68. Dublin Day 1 – Loads of walking, robots & dinner at Forest Avenue!
69. Dublin Day 2 – Whiskey, books & rugby.
70. Dublin Day 3 -Brunch at The Fumbally, more whiskey, more walking and then some more whiskey!
71. Home sweet home
72. Date night steak!
73. Feasting on Medjool dates and Mella’s Fudge.
74. Starting to see the end line of our packing marathon.
75. When you find THE BEST bathroom cleaner EVER and you don’t have to scrub one bit! #thatmovinglife
76. Pinkberry frozen yoghurt for dinner.
77. Dinner at Oldroyd, brilliant as always (the rhubarb tart and bergamot posset desserts especially so).
78. Beauty & The Beast at the Screen on the Green.
79. Dinner at Tayyabs.
80. The BF bringing home Lucky Chip burgers (and fries, the guy knows me well).
81. Dinner at (one of) my (many) happy place(s). Duck leg + breast with wild garlic mash and custard tart, in case you were wondering…
82. MOVING DAY = SO grateful for naps & food delivery!
83. 12+h of sleep!!
84. Ah-mazing Buontalenti gelato from Badiani – only 4 ingredients but definitely worth crossing the River for!
85. All the Ikea / Bob the Builder vibes.
86. First hot cross bun of the season for breakfast!
87. Finally having black jeans back in my wardrobe!!
88. Garlic butter mushroom bun for dinner
89. Memmingen’s pastel houses and well-stocked bakeries.
90. The best of friends and ice creams in Munich.
91. Munich Day 2 – City walks, vodka-candy shots, photo books and endless giggles.
92. Munich Day 3 – Bavarian brunch + the gorgeous Pinakotek museum.
93. Bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner #mycarblife
94. Bed rubber foot pads. ‘Tis the little things.
95. Cream egg brownie baking.
96. Brighton Day 1 – The sound of the sea, walking along the beach & amazing peanut butter + caramel ice cream from Boho Gelato.
97. Brighton Day 2 – Shopping, photomaton pictures taking with my fave, vegan buddha bowl for lunch, ice cream, pizza + wine at Franco Manca for dinner.
98. Brighton Day 3 – Lazy day + impromptu picnic feat. incredible egg + wild garlic sandwiches from Silo.
99. Our new flat starting to feel like home.
100. Pasta, pizza and ALL THE CARBS!
101. Binge-watching Chefs Table.
102. A fridge full of Farmdrop goodies.
103. That long weekend ahead feeling!
104. Date night at home with the BF, wine and Arrival.
105. BRGR.CO’s mac & cheese.
106. Spring gnocchi + ALL THE CHOCOLATE!
107. Lunch at The Palomar + perfectly cut new white J Crew linen shirt.
108. When your fridge leftover come together in one random-yet-delicious salad bowl!
109. My mum being the most attentionate of people.
110. A simple home-cooked dinner.
111. Having 0 moving boxes left to empty!
112. Our cocktail-fulled housewarming party (finally!).
113. A voté! (fingers crossed)
114. Binge-watching ’13 reasons why’.
115. Clearing up my to-do list.
116. Pad Thai is always a good idea.
117. New Ipad = life changed!!
118. Luca’s selection of Britalian small plates.
119. Cinema with the Mr. (and a box of popcorn bigger than my head).
120. Buttery scrambled eggs for breakfast.
121. MASTERCHEF AUSTRALIA IS BAAAAAAAACK!!
122. Booking tickets for Cuba (and somehow finding a direct flight that doesn’t cost the Earth!).
123. PAY DAY BABYYYY!
124. Packing, packing, packing (am I the only one finding it incredibly satisfying?)
125. Barcelona Day 1 – The light falling from into El Born’s small streets, tapas lunch at Bar Brutal, the views from Montjuïc, vermouth at Morro Fi…
126. Barcelona Day 2 – La Boqueria market, tapas feast at Jai-Ca and all of my favourite people under one roof!
127. Barcelona Day 3 – Escriba’s croissants, gorgeous weather, loads of walking and somehow, despite the fact that everything that could have gone wrong basically did (and then some), making it in time for our train back!
128. Burgers and laughing with Scott and the early-London-times gang.
129. Working from home + peanut butter chicken winner dinner!
130. Spring vegetable quiche (and strawberries) for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
131. Home made Pad See Ewe for dinner.
132. Kiln + Crosstown Doughnuts + The Piano Bar = the perfect Soho evening!
133. The Big Bang Theory’s finale.
134. Cycling in the sun & catching up on Masterchef Australia.
135. Best effort-to-result ratio dinner: trout en papillote + steamed baby potatoes + homemade tzatziki. Spring supper perfection.
136. The plumpiest, yummiest Medjool dates from Farmdrop.
137. Baby pink nails.
138. An early morning visit to New Covent Garden Flower Market.
139. *THAT* Grey’s Anatomy finale!!
140. Making progress on my to-do list + pizzaaaaaaaaa!
141. Shake Shack burgers + the sun being back in London (and hopefully here to stay!)
142. Winner winner marinated steak & Mexican corn salad dinner!
143. Treating myself to an after-work walk around Chelsea in Bloom.
144. Gin-masterclass at The Refinery with Simple Pool + The London Essence Co.
145. Tomato, mozza & home-grown micro basil – simple really is best!
146. The season’s first apricots.
147. -Finally- exploring the new ‘hood, culminating with a little wine-ing & dining at Noble Rot.
148. Tacos, ice cream & the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
149. Polenta orange syrup cake.
150. An unexpected working-from-home day.
151. G&Ts at Cinnamon Kitchen’s colourful Summer Gin Garden + impromptu dinner at Gunpowder.
152. The last of those parmesan & poppy seed biscuits for lunch.
153. PIZZAAAAAAA + House of Cards’ season finale. (No, YOU binge-watched the entire thing in less than a week!)
154. Fresh (super spicy!) Xi’an-style udon for dinner.
155. Juicy peaches from the food market + Ottolenghi week on Masterchef Australia!!
156. Garlic butter salmon a la The Londoner for dinner.
157. This red pepper tortilla (with some added chorizo) for lunch.
158. Pastel blue nailpolish.
159. Putting ideas into words and words into actions.
160. That dirty, messy, DELICIOUS Dip & Flip burger (and cheese fries!)
161. Sunshine, cocktails & catching up with my my faves in Cambridge.
162. A clean home is a happy home!
163. Cycling in the sun.
164. The most delicate apple blossom, mastic & Bruichladdich whisky cocktail at Scarfes Bar.
165. Paella masterclass & all the bubbly at the Anna de Codorníu Terrace on the Thames.
166. Winner winner vegan
dinner lunch (and my baby sister turning 20!!)
167. A weel-deserved post-cycling-and-grocery-shopping Callipo in the 30°C heat!
168. Sriracha mayo on e’rythiiiiiing!
169. London’s best pizza with my fave!
170. Probably the only time you’ll ever hear me say ‘God bless air conditioning’!
171. All the online window shopping!!
172. Homemade chicken teriyaki rice bowls.
173. A perfectly cooked steak dinner while binge-watching Mr. Selfridge + PAYDAY (FINALLY!).
174. Sales shopping & dinner at Temper.
175. The loooooongest night I’ve had in FOREVER & dinner at Vivian’s.
176. Errands, iced coffee & simple pasta dinner.
177. The smell of roast chicken (& the taste of crispy skin!)
178. Winner winner (budget) steak dinner!
179. Finally finding out who A.D. is.
180. The Diner’s garlic butter fries.
181. Breakfast for dinner #TeamAvocado
182. A visit to my beloved Borough Market.
183. Indulging my croissant cravings.
184. Satay chicken salad packed lunch.
185. A real taste of home via a tomato & mustard tart.
186. NEW BLOG THEME AND IT FEELS SO GOOD!
187. Kin‘s Bun Cha ??
188. Adding choc’ chops to this week’s granola batch #goodmove
189. Going to IKEA to buy boring grown-up things (a new toilet seat) and getting out with the prettiest carafe/vase, super cute cups and a set of bay blue bedlinnen.
190. Our new non-broken, non-gross toilet seat.
191. Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference White Choc’ & Raspberry cookies ?
192. First good hair day in a looooong time!
193. Onion-soup-style quiche for lunch!!
194. Back on the Once Upon A Time bandwagon…
195. Cointreau Fizz & dim sums to make up for the lack of fireworks.
196. Sneaky Domino’s dinner.
197. Vegetarian lasagna FTW!
198. Winter is back! #GoT
199. Our shower is fixed and a working shower is the best thing EVER!
200. Apricot jam in the making and it smells so goooooooood!
201. Vegan chocolate mousse ftw.
202. Friyay done right with burgers + fries + cookies + Les Misérables on the telly.
203. Listening to the rain whilst reading a book. And pizza.
204. Freshly coloured hair.
205. Walking back home and peanut butter cups for pudding.
206. Blackcurrant + apple bircher muesli.
207. Chicken Katsu!
208. Finally watching East Side Sushi.
209. Friyay G&T and my fave Bun Cha for dinner.
210. Mezze, robots, apéro and RuPaul binge-watch.
211. Breakfast and life catch-up with my fave.
212. Monday-appropriate pineapple fizz, ah-mazing oyster sauce & veggie noodles and Game of Thrones obv.
213. Winner, winner, grilled steak dinner!
214. The juiciest nectarines from Farmdrop.
215. Saviour face masks (this one!)
216. Mid-afternoon naps and burger diners.
217. Ordering half the menu at Som Saa.
218. Baked potatoes.
219. Cake for dinner at Cutter & Squidge.
220. Homemade lasagna.
221. Finishing Once Upon A Time.
222. Peach crumble in a jar.
223. Fort building parties are the best parties ❤
224. My skin miiiiiiight be on the way out of its recent breaking-out party.
225. Grey & rainy day calls for spiced lentil soup!
226. Tomato & peaches all day, everyday!
227. Scrambled eggs for lunch. #perksofworkingfromhome
228. The most delicious #NationalBurgerDay warm up at Ben’s Canteen.
229. Birthday dinner at El Pastor and my new shooooooooes!
230. Another Kin Bun Cha dinner.
231. Visiting the prettiest store in all the land!
232. Planning our upcoming Paris trip.
233. God bless Mario Badescu drying lotion!
234. Discovering the life-changing magic of the Mooncup (about time…).
235. Packing (yes, I’m one of those people who actually enjoy packing)!
236. Arriving in Paris, dinner at Verjus & *THAT* view of the Louvre at night!
237. Croissants, shopping & tapas with friends.
238. Ober Mama’s pasta (& tiramisu!), walks along Paris’ canals, drinks ‘en terrace’, giggles and gossips.
239. More croissants, exploring Montmartre and quality time with the best-est friends.
240. Just back from holiday & already planning our next (Cuban!) adventure!
241. Magic & cocktails!
242. Aubergine salad – always a winner!
243. The BF deliveroo-ing ice cream for lunch.
244. Cream cheese carrot cake? YES PLEASE!!
245. Autumn in the air and the first soup of the season!
246. Thin sweater & bare ankle weather.
247. Blackcurrant jam ❤
248. Fresh bed linnen.
249. Corn & tuna salad lunch.
250. M&S’ nduja tomato sauce is the bomb!
251. Polenta plum cobbler.
252. Booking all our Cuba accomodations (the holiday excitement is real!).
253. ALL THE DUMPLINGS at London’s Chinese Food Festival!
254. Banana bread porridge (aka my new favourite way to start the day!).
255. Making my first (super easy!) dumplings.
256. Binge-watching Gilmore Girl.
257. Getting new breakfast-spiration thanks to Food at 52, Sally Bee & Very Lazy!
258. Lemongrass & Coconut Panna Cotta for pudding!
259. Touring London’s City Hall & dinner at Madame D.
260. Finally making it to Malty St. Market.
261. Starting to get the hang of this whole working from home thing…
262. A visit to Paperchase is always a good idea!
263. Weekday brunch = ultimate working-from-home perk!
264. A potato-in-every-dish tasting menu is my kind fo tasting menu! Well done Idohan!
265. The boyfriend working from home.
266. The Little Viet Kitchen’s spring rolls.
267. Sunny autumn days are the best!
268. The Big Bang Theory season premiere.
269. So excited for the opening of pumpkin / squash soup season!!
270. Dinner at Darjeeling Express.
271. The first appearance of my signature sausage casserole on my table this season.
272. 100% obsessed with those white chocolate & raspberry cookies.
273. The best cure for SAD – cheese fondue, wine & giggles!
275. All-day snuggles before the BF goes to India.
276. Getting stuck into Dan Brown’s Origin.
277. Squash soup + apple & black pudding sausage rolls is what Autumn dinner dreams are made of!
278. Finally getting things moving in the right direction work-wise.
279. Make the most of Fry-day with chips for dinner!
280. London’s best ramen at Kanada-Ya.
281. #BloggersBoozyBrunch at The Avenue.
282. Absolutely obsessed with Nexflix’s The Good Place.
283. Soup, soup soup!
284. Buttered toast is my spirit animal.
285. Bluebird Tea finally landing in London!
286. The Mr.’s back (and he brought Leon’s meatballs with him!).
287. Catching up on fave TV shows (How to Get Away With Murder ftw)!
288. Another fabulous party at the Palace!
289. A Columbia Road house plant shopping and Reubens kind of day (the best kind!).
290. Finally getting our visas for Cuba sorted!
291. Spicy pork dumplings for lunch.
292. Another spicy pork dumpling lunch (can’t get enough of them!!)
293. Previewing the Autumn cocktail menu at TwoRuba.
294. Cocktail masterclass at Hixter Bankside followed by one of London’s best steak at Macellaio RC.
295. Smoking Goat’s spicy chicken wings!!
296. Deglet Nour dates ♥♥
297. I had forgotten how good The Collective‘s strawberry & mascarpone yoghurt is (now, how do we go about making it a permanent flavour?!)
298. Freshly baked apple turnovers.
299. Learning to make Koláčes with Budweiser Budvar.
300. Leftover pastries from yesterday’s masterclass for breakfast.
301. Absolutely OBSESSED with this sticky date porridge!!
302. Chicken and mushroom pie for dinner.
303. The odd satisfaction of a nearly-empty fridge.
304. Suitcases all packed and ready for Cuba!
305. Getting my nails painted in the prettiest shade of baby blue at London Grace.
306. That take-off feeling (and a really good in-flight meal!).
307. Cuba Day 1 – Gigantic casa breakfast, first steps in Havana and Ropa Vieja at El Cubano.
308. Cuba Day 2 – Lemonade at Montserrate Bar and time by the sea on the Malecon.
309. Cuba Day 3 – Taking in the views in Vinales.
310. Cuba Day 4 – Horseback riding through the Vinales Valley and swimming in the lake.
311. Cuba Day 5 – I’m always at my happiest by the seaside (especially when the sea is WARM!!)
312. Cuba Day 6 – Sea-swimming and fish soup.
313. Cuba Day 7 – The views on the car journey from Playa Larga to Trinidad.
314. Cuba Day 8 – Making it to the Parque El Cubano waterfall.
315. Cuba Day 9 – Seeing a quadruple rainbow over Trinidad (and finally fealing good enough to eat something other than rice)!
316. Cuba Day 10 – Mojitos & patatas bravas at El Cochinero, a tour of Havana’s Vedado in the cutest car, incredible jamon croquetas at La Guarida and the best night’s sleep at Animas 303.
317. Cuba Day 11 – Riding in a Coco taxi + binge-watching The Handmaid’s Tale on the plane.
318. Wifi everywhere (and late afternoon naps).
319. Not feeling the effect of jetlag!
320. Domino’s dinner.
321. Murder on the Orient Express with a cup of tea at Everyman Cinema.
322. A productive afternoon of Christmas shopping.
323. Christmas present wrapping round 1 & Christmas playlist building.
324. Tray roast salad for lunch.
325. Looking through our Cuba pictures.
326. Bread + butter pudding for breakfast.
327. I forgot how good (and cheap!!) Pizza Union’s mushroom pizza is!!
328. A spot of independant store Christmas shopping on Exmouth Market, followed by Patty & Bun burgers on the sofa.
329. An incredible impromptu dinner at Anglo.
330. Moving forward with our Christmas shopping.
331. First time watching Elf!
332. Breakfast at the gorgeous Balcon with Clarence Court, followed by a tour of London’s prettiest Christmas lights & windows.
333. My first ever hot pot dinner.
334. Basically living off easy-peelers and I regret nothing.
335. Bublé playlist & canapé prepping.
336. Festive cocktail fuelled-Christmas party.
337. Padella pasta & long-overdue catch-up with my fave human being.
338. The most efficient Monday I’ve had in a long time.
339. -Finally- being the proud owner of a pink, glittery deer head.
340. Pasta dinner.
341. Being reunited with the best mum in the world!
342. Christmas shopping with my mum & Christmas partying with my love.
343. Whisky cocktails & burger dinner.
344. Roast at the Quality Chop House.
345. Spinach baked eggs for dinner.
346. The look on my mum’s face after her first taste of my ultimate mac’n’cheese recipe.
347. Padella‘s simple tomato pasta – simply gorgeous!
348. Leftover pigs in blankets.
349. More of London’s best chicken wings with one of my fave people.
350. Lazy sofa day with all the Christmas movies.
351. Mmmmmh, noodle soup!
352. Prtty festive nails from The Little Nail Room, followed by a funghi pizza party with my fave.
353. Going home for Christmas.
354. Foie gras for breakfast #onlyinfrance.
355. The smell of my parents’ Christmas tree.
356. First taste of my version of Rachel Phipps’ gin-cured salmon and it’s a winner!
357. Christmas grocery shopping with my mum.
358. Cooking up the Christmas feast with the whole family.
359. My prettyyyyyyyy!
360. Little nuggets of self-improvment wisdom and raclette party.
361. Tea shopping, being reunited with Sephora and dinner with my grand parents.
362. Chateau road trip with the Mr. and the sister (+ French McDo and yet more foie gras ’cause I’m all about that balanced diet).
363. Catching up with one of my favourite human beings.
364. Cuban mojitos, Chinese takeaway and proving I’m still the Ticket to Ride master (any other addicts to this game around?)
365. A packed last day ahead – squeezing in as much family quality time (and couscous stew) as possible before celebrating the upcoming new year with friends!
Hoping that 2018 brings you and your loved ones as many happy moments as 2017 did! What were your highlights?
4 thoughts on “365 things that made 2017 awesome”
Wow Sandra! What. A. List. Great to read. Wishing you all good things for 2018! x
And to you too Aaron! Hope we get to catch up soon, it’s been a while! xx Sandra
So many good things! I’m super happy to see I am in several of them. 😀 Love you honey! ♥ xx
❤ ❤ ❤ One of my favourite memories from 2017 was our trip to Brighton (and that peanut/caramel ice cream!)! Looking forward to more of this in 2018!! xx Sandra