Any visitor to the U.S.A. knows that, no matter their final destination, there’s a state or two you’re sure to find yourself in.
Fascination. Excitement. Eyes-wide-open bewilderment.
A visit to the land of Stars and Stripes will always be a memorable journey.
A journey through complex history and diverse culture, of culinary delights and incredible street food, of one-of-a-kind experiences, building memories that will last a lifetime.
Below are the moments from my first all-American journey that remain firmly etched in my memory.
Hope it inspires some future US travel, or brings back some happy memories!
1. The sky opening up the second we stepped out of the Subway from the airport, leaving us soaked to the bones within a couple of minutes.
2. Feeling insect-small when walking down the streets.
3. The views of the city from the ferries.
4. Eating the most epic sandwich of my entire life (the pastrami on rye) at Kazt’s Deli.
5. Seeing all the iconic buildings in real life.
6. Admitting New Yorkers’ bagel bragging rights after one bite of Ess-A-Bagel’s sensational lox & cream cheese bagel.
7. The fascinating madness of Times Square.
8. $1 pizza.
9. Finding the cutest stationery store in Brooklyn.
10. Walking the Highline.
11. Witnessing the Gay Pride.
12. Waiting out a flood warning with the locals and chili fries at Ben’s Chili Bowl.
13. The sheer scale of the city – the timed street crossings give you two whole minutes to cross and they’re barely enough!!
14. My first ever visit to a Shake Shack restaurant.
15. Late night grocery runs – American supermarkets are FUN!
16. Getting caught in the 4th of July madness.
17. Jazz at the Preservation Hall.
18. Classic cocktails at the beauuuuutiful Carousel Bar.
19. Coffee and beignets with a local at Café du Monde.
20. The incredible colonial architecture.
21. Mufulettas at Grocery Central.
22. The journey itself
Despite the horror stories you might read about in the press, travelling across the USA is actually quite enjoyable.
Thumbs up to fast-moving security lines. A big fat YES to not having to take your liquids or laptop out of your over-stuffed bag. My deepest gratefulness to all the comfortable cab and coach seats.
After all, it’s the little things that allow you to enjoy the journey, as well as the destination!
This post was written as part of this month’s #travellinkup, all about journeys – figurative, literal, metaphysical, down the road for a PSL… If you want to join in the #travellinkup fun, pop your post up over the first week of the month (the 1st – 7th Oct.), then add it to the link up widget found on Follow Your Sunshine, SilverSpoon London, Adventures of a London Kiwi or Eppie‘s.
More travel posts
How to find the perfect travel companion
10 things I learnt from travelling
8 thoughts on “The journey of a lifetime – Highlights from our first US trip”
Love this! What amazing highlights you had. I’ve been to a lot of West Coast USA but mostly just New York – which you had some wonderful highlights of – who doesn’t love $1 pizza! I also adore your photography 🙂
What a fab first trip!!
Yes! I love NOLA too. Plus the US always has such amazing food and if you’re on holiday…then you may as well haha. I also did a US road trip earlier in the year and there is just so much to do over there,
Mmmmm shake shack lol
Mmmmm shake shack lol #travellinkup
Looks like such a great trip, I love visiting the States! I really want to go back and do more of the South, would love to go to New Orleans! x
Aww as an american living abroad this is giving me a bit of nostalgia! I also love how you’ve listed the moments… I actually just wrote a similar post about my impressions/favorite moments in Budapest. Sometimes that is the best way to reflect on a trip – appreciating the little things!
You visited some awesome places! We road tripped the US last year but we did the West coast which was amazing too. Would love to go back and do some of these places especially New Orleans!