Very few things cheer me up about the days growing colder and ever shorter.
The perspective of wearing (his) cashmere sweaters is one. Getting to wear my beloved boots is another.
But the strongest of them all is finally having the possibility to eat soup for every meal without people looking at me like I’m crazy.
Which I’m 100% up for because I love soup.
And more than any other soup, I LOVE squash soup.
It’s really healthy (5-a-day in a bowl? YES PLEASE!), very seasonal, warm and comforting, SUPER-EASY to make and reaaaaaally exciting when served with a lot of fun toppings (Bacon? Cheese? Croutons? All of the above? Your call!)!
A souper supper if I ever saw one!
Some great squash soup toppings:
- Pine nuts + spring onion + nigella seeds – easy, nutty, beautiful!
- Bacon + fried sage leaves – a classic is a classic for a reason!
- Blue cheese + walnut pieces – another classic, another winner!
- Pretty much any cheese actually – goat’s cheese, parmesan crisp, the one you got from the farmer’s market…
- Soy-roasted nuts – a great vegan alternative!
- Hazelnut dukkah – crush toasted hazelnuts with cumin and salt and get sprinkling!
- Fried chorizo + onion – like sunshine in a bowl!
- Curry powder + ginger paste + a spoonful of coconut cream – for an Asian spicy twist!
- Garlic butter mushrooms – autumn-ception!
And about a billion other things! Please report all gourd-geous discoveries in the comments!
More seasonal recipes
Banana bread porridge (VG, GF)
This post was originally published in Oct. 2014 but has been updated with better pictures and topping suggestions in September 2017.