Nothing beats cake for breakfast.
But this lemon drizzle porridge comes a close second, especially on chilly winter mornings.
Inspired by one of my favourite cake, it’s a dreamboat of a breakfast treat.
You see, the thing is, it’s packed-full of super healthy stuff (oats! lemon! almonds! blueberries) and yet, it actually tastes like cake.
I kid you not, having it for breakfast is pretty much the same as liking clean the lemon drizzle cake batter bowl. Or the blueberry muffin one.
Expect much better for your waistline, obviously.
So if life gives you lemon (and it’s breakfast time), you know what to do!
Lemon drizzle porridge (serves 1)
- 30g porridge oats
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 200ml water
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp vanilla syrup
- 1 handful blueberries + a few to garnish
- 5 almonds, roughly chopped to garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the oats, almond flour, water, lemon zest and vanilla syrup. Leave to soak for 10 minutes, then heat to a medium heat and cook until it reaches the consistency you like (about 5min), stirring regularly.
2. In a small saucepan, cook the blueberries until you get a rough compote (about 2 minutes). Taste and add a little bit of vanilla syrup if necessary, then take off the heat.
3. Pour the porridge in a bowl or jar and top with the blueberry compote. Garnish with the fresh blueberries and chopped almond and eat immediately.
3 thoughts on “Lemon Drizzle Porridge”
This sounds amazing! I’m always skeptical of oats made with water but I think I need to give it a try!
I actually don’t mind which liquid is used, but the teaspoon of ground almond in the mix makes all the difference in the world!
Let me know if you try if, would love to hear what you think!
[…] my zesty lemon drizzle porridge or treat yourself to a slice of French yoghurt […]