So, today’s the day.
The day when I’m officially closer to 30 than I am to 20.
Feeling old much? YOU BET!
Luckily, birthdays are nature’s way of telling you to eat more cake, and god knows that’s something I’m always up for!
Now, birthday brownies are a bit of a tradition in my house (find out why here), but this year’s needed to step it up a notch…
And what’s the best way to make any amazing dessert even better?
You know it: SALTED CARAMEL e’rythiiiiiiiiiiiing!
So here it is. Salted caramel brownies.
Now, I used to be a triple choc’ brownies kind of girl. And then I made those and I’m telling you: TOTAL GAME CHANGER!
100-billion-calories-a-slice game changer, but after all, birthday = ultimate cheat day, right?
(and if it’s not quiiiite your birthday yet, well, you could always celebrate your un-birthday instead! ??)
Salted Caramel Brownies (serves 6-8)
For the brownies:
- 120g soft (but NOT MELTED!) salted butter
- 160g granulated sugar
- 3 big eggs
- 70g self-raising flour
- 200g dark chocolate
For the salted caramel sauce:
- 150g granulated sugar
- 40g salted butter
- about 100ml pouring or double cream
- a generous pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat your oven to 160°C. Butter and flour a brownie pan (I like to use a 21×21 glass roasting tray like this one)
2. Make your caramel sauce: In a medium saucepan, put the sugar and a little bit of water. Cook over a hot stove until it turns a deep-brown colour and doesn’t re-crystalised if taken off the heat for a few seconds. Add in the butter, mix well, then add the cream and mix again. Add the salt, then leave to the side to cool down.
3. Make your brownies batter: In a big mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and the flour. Melt your chocolate over a double-boiler, then add it to the batter and mix until well combined.
4. Pour about half of your brownies batter into the buttered and floured pan, cover with a layer of salted caramel sauce, then top with the remaining brownies batter. Bake for 30-35 min.
5. Let the brownies cool down (they’re even better the following day!) before serving with the remaining salted caramel sauce drizzled on top.
Do you have any birthday traditions? I’d love to hear them in the comments!!
PIN FOR LATER:
10 thoughts on “Salted Caramel Brownies”
These sound unbelievable! Oh my god I want some! Happy Birthday too!! Xx
Well okay these just look incredible! I definitely need to make these!
Happy belated birthday lovely lady! Your salted caramel brownies look increeeedible, definitely worthy of a person in her mid-twenties 😉 x
Drooling! I think I need these in my life.
[…] no point hidding my love for salted caramel (I’m pretty sure this baby sort of gave me away […]
[…] suppose my love for brownies is no longer a […]
[…] me for example. It’s no secret that I’m absolutely crazy for all things salted caramel and it is no secret anymore that I try and sneak some into pretty much any food I can get away […]
[…] if I never pass off a slice of the good stuff (especially when it comes with a bit of cream and/or salted caramel sauce on the side…), I’m equally unable to resist a bake-off […]
[…] Especially when enjoyed atop warm apple, pear and salted caramel crumble, a square of salted caramel brownie… […]
[…] could go for the world’s best brownies, a festive salad, cake, or soup of course, but I thought something green & wholesome would go […]