Come Christmas, I always buy loads of candy canes. Ridiculous amounts, really.
I use them for literally everything: I hang some in the tree, use a few as gift-toppers, feature them on every holiday-themed Instagram picture…
But I never, ever eat them.
Or rather, I never DID. Until this morning.
When I had candy cane brownies for breakfast #healthgoals
If you like the mint + chocolate combo, you’re in for a treat. Plus it’ll help you use up some of the leftover Christmas sweets. Less food waste, more cake. #winwin
Candy Cane Brownies (serves 2-4)
Ingredients: 70g melted baking chocolate, 70g dark chocolate chips, 1 candy cane, 1 egg, 50g granulated sugar, 40g melted butter, 30g self-raising flour (optional: a few drops of peppermint extract)
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C. Butter and flour a small cake tin (1 used a small enamel dish).
2. Whisk together the egg, sugar and melted butter. Whisk the flour in, then add the melted chocolate and the chocolate chips (and the peppermint extract if using).
3. Using a mortar & pestle, grind the candy cane down to a coarse powder. Add about 3/4 of it to the batter.
4. Pour your batter into the baking tray and bake for about 15 min. Sprinkle on the rest of your candy cane powder on your brownies as soon as they’re out of the oven.
5. Eat warm or cold (ideally with some mint + choc. chips ice cream on the side).
5 thoughts on “Candy Cane Brownies”
YUM! These look so delicious! I’m like you, I always have so many candy canes and I was actually looking at a large bag this morning wondering what on earth I was going to do with them. I do like eating them, but it gets a bit dull if you know what I mean?! I’m definitely going to make these now. Thanks lovely!
So happy I’m not the only one so happy at the idea of stuffing brownies with candy!!
Let me know how yours turn out!
Oh My God. I need this in my life!!
Don’t we all?
[…] Candy Cane Brownies from cakeandwhisky.com […]