I’m a serial lunch-packer. By which I mean I pack lunch almost every day.
I got into the habit a long time ago, when I was at university and the food on offer on campus was far too unhealthy, expensive and bloating for me to even consider eating it every day. Plus, I had to somehow justify my massive collection of lunch boxes.
Salads have always been amongst my lunch staples. And even more so now that I’ve created the absolute wonder that is this Tabasco-roasted squash + mozzarella salad!
Super easy and quick to make, tasty, zingy, healthy yet filling, it’s the perfect on-the-go lunch.
Actually, I love it so much that I also serve it as a side any time I have a chance (I made it for Worksgiving, and it even was on our Christmas Eve’s menu this year!). An absolute winner on all fronts.
Tabasco-roasted squash + mozzarella salad (serves 1)
Ingredients: 1/4 butternut squash (peeled and cut into 1/3 inch thick slices), 1/2 avocado (scooped out and diced), a few handfuls baby spinach, some spring onion greens (sliced), 1/2 ball of mozzarella, lime juice, tabasco (I like the green one best), 1 tsp olive oil, pinch sea salt flakes, pinch chilli flakes, pinch sumac, spoonful pesto and/or tbsp pumpkin seeds
1. Pre-heat your oven at 180°C
2. Lay the butternut squash onto an oven-safe dish. Drizzle with the olive oil, chilli flakes, sea salt and Tabasco (to taste). Roast for about 45 min or until nice and golden.
3. In a separate container, make your dressing by mixing lime juice and a dash of Tabasco. Shake/stir until combined.
4. Put your spinach on a plate (or in a lunchbox). Add your avocado, roasted squash, mozzarella and spring onions on top. Season to taste with sea salt, sumac and pesto/ seeds.
5. When you’re ready to eat, pour the dressing on top of the salad.
Do you pack your lunch? What’s your go-to recipe?
7 thoughts on “Tabasco-roasted squash + mozzarella salad”
This looks amazing, I want to try it!
Let me know if you do Sara! Would love to hear what you think.
OMG YUM! This looks delicious. I am now starving just after looking at that… but don;t have those amazing ingredients in my fridge 😦 Off to the store I go!
Lovely to see other people are just as enthousiastic as I am about squash, mozzarella and avocado. For a second, my boyfriend made me think I was crazy when I declared it to be the best lunch ever!! ?
This looks so good! x
ISOSCELLA | http://isoscella.blogspot.co.uk
And it tastes even better than it looks (which might explain why I’ve had it three times for lunch this week…??)
[…] Now, I don’t do resolutions, but that would be one I could totally get behind. I’ve been a serial lunch packer for a long, long time, remember? […]