I’d advocate for Sunday being re-named Cake day any time of the year, but even more so when the weather is as miserbale as it has been this past weekend.
When that happens, all I want to do is crawl under a blanket with a big mug of tea and an equally big piece of cake and stay there all day catching up on blog reading while watching re-runs of any series I happen to stumble upon.
To fight off the rain this weekend, I whipped up a big batch of one of my favourite treats: canelés!
A couple of those with cherry-flavoured green tea and one of the Sherlock Holmes movies and you won’t even notice the rain drizzling down your window!
For 18 canelés: 660 mL whole milk, 8 egg yolks, 330g granulated sugar, 165g plain flour (I used 00), 1 vanilla pod, 2-3 tsp dark rum, 66g melted butter
1. Slice the vanilla pod in the middle and scrape to get all the seeds out.
2. Place the vanilla seeds and the milk in a saucepan and heat up until it reaches a small boil. Remove from the heat and let it cool down completelybefore adding in the egg yolks.
3. In a bowl, mix together the sugar and flour, then whisk in the milk and egg mix.
4. Pour in the rum and the butter and whisk thouroughly.
5. Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for at least 12h.
6. Pre-heat your oven to 200 °C.
7. Pour the batter into the moulds (you can use small muffin ones if you don’t have canelé moulds) and bake for 1h or until the top and sides are brown.
8. Remove the canelés from the moulds while still warm and eat warm or cold.
What’s your favourite rainy day treat?
6 thoughts on “Canelés recipe”
These look amazing! I tried Canelès when I went to Bordeaux and haven’t had them since, I must give the recipe a try!
Lyndsay | Fizzy Peaches
They look quite intimidating but they’re actually the easiest thing to make, so you should definitely give them a go!
I absolutely adore canelés! They are part of the reason I put on so much weight when I studied in Bordeaux 😉 worth it, though!
When in Rome…
I honestly don’t even know what these are but I want them :O!
xx Izzy | Qthee
Yeah, cake things tend to have that effect on people don’t they?