When I was a child, I would basically live on tomatoes alone for the entire summer.
Both my parents and my grand-parents grow a vegetable garden, with tomatoes having place of pride, which means there would be a tomato glut from early July until late September.
I might not be partial but they’re the best tomatoes I’ve ever tasted and I would have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Much like an apple, still in my pyjamas and the first shoes I’d find for the former, simply drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a pinch of fleur de sel the rest of the time.
Truth be told, the classic panzanella salad is basically a fancy-name, glorified version of that simple salad.
One that also doubles as a delicious, clever way to use up bread that’s a bit past its best.
a.k.a. the dream for little bread-loving, waste-loathing Frenchie me.
Panzanella is lovely served on its own with a glass of chilled rosé as a simple summer supper, but also works wonders as part of a picnic or BBQ spread.
You really can’t go wrong with it… Give it a try and I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do…
… from my head to-ma-toes!
- 3 big handfuls mixed cherry tomatoes (about 300g)
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 big slices of dry/stale sourdough (about 120g)
- good quality olive oil
- a little drizzle of wine vinegar
- salt, Espelette pepper
- chopped parsley to serve
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes. Slice the onion as thinly as you can. Place both in a large bowl, season with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, the vinegar salt and Espelette pepper.
- Cut the sourdough into bite-sized cubes.
- Heat up a drizzle of olive oil in a small frying pan until sizzling. Add the bread cubes and tossed until golden on all sides. Season with a small pinch of salt.
- Add the bread into the bowl with the tomatoes and onion and mix well.
- Top with some chopped parsley and serve immediately.
You can prep this recipe a few hours ahead of serving it as long as you add the fried bread to the rest of the ingredients at the very last minute.
More Summer recipes:
Satay Chicken Salad (GF, Dairy Free)
Best Ever Guacamole (Vegan, GF)
Pineapple Fizz Mocktail (Vegan)