Easter this year was a very casual affair.
No big family lunch, no big egg hunt, no roast lamb… Just the Mr. & I in our lovely little central London flat, a little bunch of white daisies, a couple of Hot Cross buns for brekkie, and the simplest, most spring-y of gnocchi dishes for lunch.
Potato gnocchi, boiled then pan-fried with fresh cherry toms, wild garlic and finished with a sprinkle of feta and scrummy crispy onions… Delicious and ready in just 10 minutes, this combination is definitely a good egg!
Because after all, that’s what a hoppy Easter (and a delicious Spring) is all about. Good food, good people (and a suitable amount of chocolate, of course)!
- 250g fresh gnocchi
- 150g cherry tomatoes, cleaned and chopped in half
- Small bunch wild garlic, cleaned, pat-dried and roughly chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1,5 tbsp olive oil
- enough neutral oil (rapeseed works well) to cover the bottom of a small saucepan (for frying)
- 20g feta cheese, crumbled
- salt, pepper, chilli flakes to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the flour with a good pinch of salt and a bit of black pepper, then add the onion and stir until it's all well coated.
- Pour enough neutral oil to cover the bottom of a small saucepan. Bring it to about 190°C (it should sizzle slightly). Drop the coated onion bits in and cook for a few minutes, until the onion is golden. Remove from the oil with a spoon, place onto a few layers of kitchen towels, season with a little bit of salt and set aside.
- Bring some salted water to the boil, then cook the gnocchi according to packaging instructions (usually 1-2 min). Rince with cold water and drain well.
- Heat up a big cast iron skillet (or non-stick pan). When it's hot, add in the gnocchi and the halved tomatoes. Cook for about a minute, then add 1 tbsp olive oil and the wild garlic and cook for another minute.
- Remove from the heat and transfer onto a plate. Crumble the feta cheese on top, sprinkle with a little pinch of salt flakes and chilli flakes to taste, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and serve immediately.