Which resulted in me having some rather unusual options lately. Sushi or ham & pickle sandwich at 9am anyone?
No? Then maybe those Super Breakfast Yoghurt Pots will be more your thing…
The whole ‘Super’ breakfast thing started when I spotted The Collective’s new ‘Super Berries flavour in the dairy aisle of my local supermarket.
I love The Collective’s thick ‘n’ creamy yoghurt, I love obscure berries, and a bit of ‘super’ in my life never hurts, so in my basket the tub went.
Now, The Collective’s disclaimer clearly states that the yoghurt wouldn’t give me superpowers. But there’s no harm in trying, is there?
Worse case scenario, I would be stuck with a gigantic pot of delicious, berry compote-swirled yoghurt. Which is a situation I’d volunteer as tribute for any day of the week, to be honest.
But just in case, I thought I’d better my upcoming superpower odds. So I paired the yoghurt with more fresh super berries and a bunch of other superfood bits.
I combined the latter into the most delicious paleo granola (recipe below), then layered it all into individual pots.
I also may or may not have shoved a few spoonful of warm, golden granola in my mouth in the process…
But the fact is, the resulting breakfast yoghurt pots were everything any on-the-go breakfast should be. Filling, satisfying and oh-so-super-good!
- 500g mixed nuts & seeds (I used a mix of skin-on almonds, cashews and sunflower seeds)
- 50g unsweetened coconut chips
- 50g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 4 tbsp maple syrup or other unrefined sweetener of your choice (I used half maple half cane syrup)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed or coconut oil
- seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- zest of an organic lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C (gas mark 5). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a mortar & pestle to roughly crush the nuts. Pour into a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 min, stirring every 10 min until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and let the granola cool completely on the baking sheet before transfering to an airtight container.