In my mind, the perfect weekday breakfast must be three things:
- Super quick to make (because the less time I spend in the kitchen, the more time I spend in bed).
- Somewhat healthy (nothing like a super sugary brekkie to ensure a monster sugar rush come 10 am).
- Quite filling (because if I’m hungry an hour later, what’s even the point of breakfast?).
This Sticky Toffee Porridge is a weekday breakfast dreamboat.
It meets all three of the above criteria, obviously.
It takes less than 10 minutes to make from start to finish and as few as 3 minutes if you make the date caramel ahead of time.
It’s free of processed sugar and packed full of good for you ingredients. Vitamins and minerals in the dates; healthy fats, protein, magnesium and vitamin E in the almonds; fiber-rich oats (that helps keeping you full ’til lunchtime)…
It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free (provided that you use gluten-free oats).
And then it tastes like sticky toffee pudding.
Guilt-free cake for breakfast? It’s a date!
Cake for breakfast? It's a date! Super quick to make, filling and packed-full of healthy ingredients, this Sticky Toffee Porridge is a weekday breakfast dreamboat.
- 25g porridge oats
- 200ml water or almond milk
- 1 tsp ground almond
- 1/2 tsp cane syrup or treacle
- 10 dates
- a few almonds, roughly chopped
- Place the dates in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and soak for 10-15 minutes. Remove the dates from the soaking water (save the water for later) and peel them. Place the flesh in a food processor and blend until smooth and lump-free, adding a bit of the soaking water if necessary.
- In a small saucepan, combine the oats, water, ground almond and cane syrup. Cook for 2-3 min or until it thickens.
- In a glass, layer the porridge and date caramel, top with a light sprinkle of chopped almonds and serve immediately.