No, no, no, don’t be all ‘That tough, leafy green stuff? Kale no’!
This Kale & rice salad may have humble beginnings (being made up of what was left over in the fridge) but it seriously is one of the best things I’ve had for lunch in a long time (possibly ever).
Naturally gluten-free, it’s a marriage of savoury, nutty, crunchy, creamy (…) flavours, all coming together in a symphony of colour.
Fresh, satisfying, incredibly beautiful and unbelievably simple, I promise you’ll be screaming ‘Kale yeah’ after the first bite!
Kale & Rice Salad w/ Avocado & Salmon (serves 2, GF)
- a big handful basmati or wild rice
- 2 big handfuls of raw kale, stalks removed, well washed and pat dried
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 big slices smoked salmon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- a few dashes Tabasco
- black sesame seeds and sliced spring onion to garnish
- salt flakes, black pepper
1. Cook the rice according to packaging, then drain well and set aside to cool.
2. Place the kale, 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil and a good pinch of salt into a big bowl and massage for a few minutes. Add in the cooled rice and mix well, then share between two bowls or plates.
3. Make the dressing: In a small, clean jar, pour the lemon juice, Tabasco and remaining sesame oil. Put the lid on and shake vigorously until well combined. Taste-test and season accordingly with salt and pepper.
4. Peel, half, pit and slice the avocado. Use kitchen scissors to cut the smoked salmon into bite-sized pieces. Place both the avocado and salmon on top of the kale & rice salad.
5. Top with the dressing and garnish with black sesame seeds and sliced spring onion right before serving.