Sure you can buy them in the stores, but there’s something special and fun about making your own Halloween treats.
As far as I’m concerned the spookiest day of the year is as good an excuse as any to bake a batch of favourite sweet treats… And everybody knows that brownies are the way to my heart.
Now, I’m a big fan of the traditional recipe, but trust me when I say Brookies, the genius crossing between brownies and cookies, are next level good.
Chewy, crumbly, super chocolate-y and just a tiny bit spooky, these Monster Brookies are the ultimate Halloween-win treat, and you definitely want a batch (or three) of those in your life ASAP!
Halloween Monster Brookies (makes 6 monster-sized cookies)
- 120g 70% dark chocolate
- 15g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 30g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 15g chocolate chips
- 30g Smarties
- a few drops dark food coloring (or, even better, a food-safe black pencil)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl and set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until melted and combined, then remove from the heat.
3. In the meantime, combine the sugar, cornflour, baking powder and egg and whisk until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate-butter mixture and mix until well combined.
4. Spoon tablespoons of mixture onto baking trays lined with baking paper, making sure you leave enough space inbetween them (they spread A LOT while baking). Dot the top of the cookies with the chocolate chips and Smarties.
5. Bake for 12-13 min in the preheated oven, then set aside to cool before drawing eyes using the black food colouring.